Monday 3 December 2012

I'M in a contented space, wish Kareena all of the best: Shahid Kapoor

By Hindustan Times

It took Shahid Kapoor two years to realize that slow and steady doesn’t always win the race, and about nine months to grasp that not working is an unhealthy habit.

He’d always been aware that visibility is synonymous with an actor’s life, but Shahid has a deeper understanding of the concept that now. So, wiser than before, he's back at the sets after nine months, shooting for Raj Kumar Santoshi’s Phata Poster Nikla Hero.

“It looks like I USED TO BE on a longer vacation and now I'M back to school,” he says. With three big films in hand — Prabhudheva’s Namak, Bejoy Nambiar’s next and Phata Poster…, the 31-year-old actor is back on his feet. Late at night, at the sets of Santoshi’s film, Shahid holds back nothing in an exclusive interview with HT Café.

You’ve been missed. Where did you disappear after Mausam?
It wasn’t a voluntary decision. But yes, there has been a time after I will need to have been doing more work, but I didn’t. So I HAVE TO recover that lost time now. And that i guess everything has a reason. My dad’s film Mausam took a year and a half to finish, and that started the slow-down. Technically, I lost two years. Everybody knew or presumed that I WOULDN'T take in any work till Mausam was finished. The one film I signed in between was Teri Meri Kahani.

And then?
I finished Teri Meri Kahani and was about to start out Maneesh Sharma’s film, when he developed a slipped disc. A CHAIN of events
unfortunately followed that and caused further delays. I understand there have been technical problems but, honestly, I couldn’t push it any longer as I already had three other films lined up. I wasn’t happy opting out of Maneesh’s film. But I’ve always believed that whatever you get is for your destiny and what you don’t get isn’t speculated to be. Maneesh and that i parted amicably. Following this, I didn’t shoot for nine months which was very surprising because something like this hasn't ever happened before with me.

It’s been five years since your big film Jab We Met released. People still consider that as your best shot…
I know. It’s an odd feeling to appear back. However, it wasn’t considered a large film then. It was made by a brand new director; the lead pair of Kareena and that i was not considered hot as our jodi hadn’t worked in earlier films; and most importantly, the film was released in a period that the trade believes is inauspicious — two weeks after Dushhera and two weeks before Diwali. This era is looked upon because the weakest and worst time to release a movie. And two big movies, Om Shanti Om and Saawariya (both 2007), were releasing around that point. Fortunately, our film was widely appreciated. I ASSUME every film has its own destiny.

So far you haven’t spoken about what went wrong with Mausam.
The proven fact that we had with reference to two months to edit the film which was revamped a period of 2 years, and the truth that the film itself got hugely delayed impacted the product. Had there been slightly more time, we might have gotten more perspective and made corrections. It was numerous pressure on dad who was making his first film. There has been pressure on all of us, including Supriya aunty (Shahid’s stepmother Supriya Pathak), and my kid brothers. Everyone was deeply excited by the film. I USED TO BE with the family throughout and that i needed to be their mental strength. I just couldn’t allow them to down emotionally.

Do you regret that phase a little?
I usually don't regret anything in life, but in hindsight, I wouldn’t need to do this again. I ACTUALLY don’t wish to be in that situation again.

‘I am not arrogant, but lovingly detached!’

We’ve heard you’ve cancelled your New Year’s Eve plans.
I am really enthusiastic about my work now and there’s a captivating line-up for next year. So yes, I'LL BE working round-the-clock. There’s no New Year’s Eve or birthday break. I'VE taken it on myself to ensure that I'VE essentially the most of myself and just keep working.

How did you spend the last nine months?
I was reading scripts, meeting and interacting with people. I'VE already heard about six scripts and the 3 films I'M doing now are due to the this. Fortunately, I'M working with people I WISHED to work with. With these movies, I'M stepping into a special space too. Thankfully I had the time to line up my priorities. Raj Kumar Santoshi’s film is an out-and-out entertainer, so is Prabhudheva’s Namak, that is complete masala fare. After which there's Bejoy Nambiar’s film that is of a dark, edgy kind. And there’s yet one more that i'm not speculated to discuss now.

I have decided one thing, though. I’ve made a promise to myself that each year I CAN do three films and feature two releases — minimum. People have told me that i'm too slow, that I do only a few films, and that at this age and stage, I shouldn’t be doing this.

You and Kareena became a success pair after Jab We Met (2007), after which the 2 of you split up. But have you had a suggestion of a movie with Kareena since then?
Nobody within the last five years has come to me with a proposal to work with Kareena. I had never said no to working together with her ever before, and why should or not it's any different now? I'D say Jab We Met was Kareena’s finest performance to this point. She’s one of the crucial finest actresses we now have today. People still remember her as Geet.

Was it after Jab We Met that you simply fell right into a slow phase? Did the get a divorce with Kareena affect you?
No, yaar. Such a lot of things happen, including death, but you don’t stop working as a result of that during. fact I did Kaminey (2009), Dil Bole Hadippa! (2009) and other films after the get a divorce. But I did only a few films by choice. I had put all my eggs in a single basket. And a few of the movies that I did weren't good choices; that’s how I MUST look back now. I NEED TO be pragmatic and honest. So whilst you put these kinds of things together, it’s not the most efficient scenario and i'm trying to correct that.

Certain people within the industry believe you exude one of those arrogance.
I was in my very own world and keep to myself all of the time, so there can have been a perception about my reserved demeanour that was misconstrued as arrogance. But if people interact with you, then they know the true you.

So how did you control the damage?
People can have found it difficult to approach me and that i realised it and feature worked on it. I WAS socially shy. Now I'VE become a social animal. I'M GOING out, meet and have interaction with people. I made an effort and i'm really enjoying that phase now. Beyond that, I WILL NOT change who I'M. I'M a Piscean, and so they have a lovingly detached attitude towards life.

Do the reports of your link-ups upset or amuse you?
Initially I USED TO BE shocked to read them, but gradually I got used to it, so I don’t take it seriously. Sometimes I BELIEVE it’s excessive, it makes me uncomfortable. I SUPPOSE it’s going to maintain happening till I AM GETTING married. Anyway, I don’t care about it, so it doesn’t matter.

Are you single now?
I am not saying anything. Tomorrow after I am walking around with someone or dining with someone, someone will click an image and it’ll become a headline. So IT'S NOT THAT I AM going there in any respect. I say one thing, and there’s an avalanche of gossip around it. I'M married to my work. That’s what heroines say, right? But yes, I'M single and i've been single for the last two years.

So is love a no-no for the brand new Shahid?
There’s such a lot happening in my life now that a relationship is usually a huge baggage for me unless it’s with the correct one that brings out the fitting side of me. If I LOCATE someone who makes me feel amazing and who I can’t stop thinking about, I WILL BE ABLE TO run after her and check out my best to woo her. Being in love is gorgeous. You simply must find someone who can understand you and who you'll give time and importance.

How important is money for you?
It is very important to be secure, but I always emphasise relationships. I'VE learnt this over a time period. Four years ago, perhaps, I wouldn’t have said this.

On Kareena Kapoor
In hindsight, were you too young and immature to deal with your relationship along with your former girlfriend Kareena?
Absolutely not! I USED TO BE 16 once I had my first relationship and it lasted for 2 and a half years. If you find yourself seeing somebody, then obviously it’s a commitment. And in the event you don’t wish to commit, then don’t be in a relationship. Every relationship deserves a definite credibility and respectability. For me, it’s always been like that. If I'VE fallen for someone, it’s been a protracted time.

As for what went wrong between me and Kareena, I don’t need to touch upon it. Everything happens for a reason; I'M in a cheerful space and want her all of the best.

When I’d interviewed her earlier, Kareena Kapoor had said she’d love to act in Jab We Met 2…
The ball lies in Imtiaz’s court. It'd be interesting to revisit Jab We Met, but I don’t know if I WILL play Aditya Kashayp as I had played him within the original. Nonetheless, it’s a perfect film, so why not? Everyone related to that film has gained tremendously. Vishal Bharadwaj cast me in Kaminey because he liked me in Jab We Met. He felt that even supposing I USED TO BE mostly quiet within the film, I USED TO BE still in my character. That was an enormous compliment.

On Priyanka Chopra
Was your relationship with Priyanka Chopra a case of affection at the rebound?
Ever since my public break-up (read Kareena), I HAVEN'T spoken about my relationship status. That’s the utmost I WILL say. And because I'VE said I USED TO BE single for the last two years, how could I'VE BEEN seeing anyone?

Shahid’s top women
The women who make him go weak on the knees

Scarlet Johansson: “Incredibly beautiful. Perfect lips and lovely eyes. I'VE an enormous crush on her.”
Penélope Cruz: “This Latin beauty has features which can be very Indian. A GORGEOUS actor.”
Katrina Kaif: “Everyone within the country finds her very desirable and beautiful!”
Deepika Padukone: “She’s getting into her own at the present time. I TRULY liked her in Cocktail.”
Vidya Balan: “She was an enchantress in Parineeta (2005). AN OVERLY positive and charming girl. I did Kismet Konnection (2008) along with her. I remember she was very confused about which look to favour as people were very critical of her. Nice to look how she has rediscovered herself.”
Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra in a still from Teri Meri Kahaani

I wish I MAY have…

1 Aamir Khan’s brilliant mind and phenomenal understanding of his craft, and be the visionary that he's. Hugely inspirational!
2The unconditional love Salman Khan has from his fans. It's awe inspiring. In case your fans love you, they're able to forgive you. I MIGHT die for that.
3 Shah Rukh Khan’s dignity and sophistication. He’s well spoken, nice, and really cultured. He’s so good to you when he meets you, that you simply can’t look beyond him. That’s a high quality I WOULD LIKE to be informed from him.

4 Hrithik Roshan’s endless honesty and sincerity. Despite being the best
looking guy and the best actor within the industry, he still works harder and tries to get well at his work. It’s amazing! He's the one actor who called me up after watching my first film, Isqh Vishk (2003). I USED TO BE damn happy that celebrity Hrithik Roshan called me on my phone. I flaunted it around. I respect him a lot.

5 Pankaj Kapur’s
conviction. He might have been an overly rich man, but he chose a center class life through his work which states sense and sensibility. Sometimes he tells me, ‘Beta I'VE money within the bank for just one year, but I CAN still not absorb work I don’t like’. He stands by his beliefs fiercely.