Saturday 1 December 2012

I just work and entertain: Akshay Kumar

By Hindustan Times

With two of his films - Housefull 2 and Rowdy Rathore - having made it to the Rs. 100 crore club, Akshay Kumar have been tagged as one among Bollywood's most bankable actor. Though the actor feels the pressure of success, he says once a movie releases, he doesn't dwell an excessive amount of upon its box-office performance.

"Pressure comes because the film nears its release time. But after that if it doesn't work, I'M at the next film. But I DO NOT take a large hit too seriously also, since the next Friday it's a must to go within the same circle... you never know what's going to happen the following Friday. I just take it because it comes. I just work and entertain," Akshay said during an interaction.

Akshay made his Bollywood debut with 1991 film "Saugandh" and went directly to aquire the tag of Khiladi Kumar for his inclination towards action. Over the years, the actor has however shifted his focus to comedies.

"After 'Khiladi 420', I ENDED (doing action movies) because I got married. I just desired to work on comedy, romance and everything. Being a father and a husband, a person has to calm down a bit. Now my son has grown up, I NEED to return to action," said the actor, who's married to actress Twinkle Khanna and has two kids - Aarav, 10 and daughter Nitara, who was born in September.

With "Rowdy Rathore", Akshay returned to his love for action and his new film "Khiladi 786" will see him in an analogous avatar again. Directed by Ashish R. Mohan, the film also features Asin Thottumkal. It releases Dec 7.

"It is a brilliant thing to go back to action. It's my love. I'VE BEEN on this industry as a result of action. I'VE tournaments of action. I'VE my very own personal gyms. Action is what I'M. This is because of action that i'm here," said the 45-year-old martial arts expert.

Over the years, the genre of action have been mixed with comedy and successfully presented to the audience through hit films like "Dabangg", "Ready" and "Rowdy Rathore".

Akshay says today's audience is keen to look at over-the-top action movies.

"Audience wants this from me. They would like over-the-top action (movies). These are their demands and we need to try to give it to them. The movies are made for everyone. Not just masses but classes also love this," he said.

He added that now the overseas audience desires to see one actor to be a master of all - if it is action or comedy. The past formula of getting a seperate comedian alongside an actor in a movie is long gone.

"Only action doesn't work in overseas. But if you join it with comedy, it really works. People want their actors to do comedy too. They do not want any comedians next to the actor. They would like one solo hero and wish to peer everything in him," he said.