Saturday 31 March 2012

I’m so homesick, says Imran Khan

By Hindustan Times

Good morning everyone! And good afternoon to these of you who had a late Friday night. I’m thrilled to be back writing my column after what looks as if forever. There’s quite a lot of new columnists, and that i appear to be the one veteran here, so I’d love to take this chance to provide my support to
anyone who needs it. I’ve been at this for a few years now, so I DO KNOW a number of adjectives and stuff.

Today, unfortunately, is a kind of days where adjectives fail me. (Also failing me today are adverbs, but all over the world they’re generally accepted to be the least trustworthy lexical category, so I can’t say I’m extremely surprised).

I’ve spent the past month shooting at the outskirts of Rajkot, in a spot called Wankaner. Most of you won’t be conversant in it, but there’s an especially large palace there, and it makes an attractive spectacular shooting location. The shoot’s been going well, no complaints there, but I MUST say I hate shooting clear of home. You spend a month, two months, sometimes even more, clear of family and friends. You reside in a hotel room (which will get pretty depressing), eating hotel food (which will get pretty heavy) and usually having no life besides work.

Working within the movie business is pretty consuming, and also you generally don’t get much free time… but no less than if you’re shooting in your house city, you get to return in your own house on the end of the day. You'll meet your pals a few times a week, and recharge your batteries (figuratively speaking).

All it is a long-winded way of explaining why adjectives (and people cursed adverbs) are failing me today… I’m utterly drained. I'LL really use some recharging. Looking ahead to hearing from you guys, maybe with some ideas on what I WILL write about for my next column?