Thursday 29 March 2012

Pritam to take legal action against Iranian band

By Hindustan Times

Music composer Pritam Chakraborty is strumming a unique tune. After staying tight-lipped on plagiarism charges which have been levelled against him over the years, the 40-year-old is contemplating legal action against Iranian band Barobax, who've alleged that Pritam lifted his track, Pyaar Ki Pungi (from the film Agent Vinod) from the band’s song, Soosan Khanoom. “I am planning to file a case against them. We will be able to be filing all of the appropriate legal action against Barobax including criminal proceedings,” Pritam told us over phone from Muscat.

These developments aside, the composer plans to take a break from work. “I have completely reduce now when it comes to projects. I'M doing less work. I'VE bogged down. Because the last 10 years, I'VE BEEN just running without looking left, right or centre to make a reputation for myself by doing 15-16 projects in a year. But I'VE got bored with doing the similar thing over and over over the process years,” said Pritam. “My next release is Jannat 2. Post June, people will see little or no of me,” he added. On being asked if he plans to show director, Pritam said, “No. I’ll be very bad as a director, writer or actor. I'M good for nothing else but composing music. Right now, I’ll decelerate a bit.”

Meanwhile, we check out a few of Pritam’s famous chartbusters which were ‘inspired’ from other songs.

Song: In Dino
Movie: Life... in a Metro
Copied from: Waqar Ali’s Mera Naam Hai Mohabbat

Song: Ya Ali
Movie: Gangster
Copied from: Ya Ghali by Guitara, a band from Kuwait

Song: Pyaar Ki Pungi
Movie: Agent Vinod
Copied from: Soosan Khanoom by Iranian band, Barobax

Song: Hai Junoon
Film: New York
Copied from: Indonesian band Samsons’ song, Naluri Lelaki

Song: Dhoom Machale Dhoom
Film: Dhoom
Copied from: Jesse Cook’s Mario Takes a Walk and Egyptian singer Amr Diab’s Enta Ma Oltesh Leh

Song: Dil Mein Baji Guitar
Film: Apna Sapna Money Money
Copied from: Middle Eastern group, Miami Band’s Sheloha Shela