Wednesday 30 May 2012

I’ve begged for an afternoon off on June 2: Sonakshi

By Hindustan Times

In 2011, it was Kareena Kapoor. This year it’s Sonakshi Sinha who’ll bring festive cheer to theatres. Her film with Ajay Devgn, SOS: Son Of Sardar, opens on Diwali at the side of Yash Chopra’s Shah Rukh Khan-Katrina Kaif love story. And Salman Khan’s Dabangg sequel is the Christmas treat.

Sonakshi, who made her debut with Dabangg (2010), hasn’t had a release in a year and 8 months. But she insists that professionally, it’s been a productive time with five films lined up — Rowdy Rathore, Joker, SOS, Dabangg 2 and Lootera. The primary opens this Friday, the following three follow in quick succession, and Lootera releases next March.

“I didn’t plan it, but it’s fantastic how things have fallen into place. I DO KNOW they all won't hit bull’s eye, but what’s important is that I’m enjoying my work, even if I’ve been shooting on a daily basis. I’ve just begged for an afternoon off on my birthday, June 2,” she says.

Diwali has always been a low-key affair for the Sinhas, comprising a puja and many family time. And xmas too is not any big affair. “The only difference is that earlier my parents would give me gifts, this time I’ll gift them my movies,” she says, smiling, “Dad (Shatrughan Sinha) is looking ahead to the premieres and expecting more compliments for my performances from the stewards and air-hostesses he meets on flights.”

Romancing Ranveer? No, no!
Most of 24-year-old Sonakshi Sinha’s co-stars are 40-plus, but she’s unperturbed. “Judwaa 2 is my first film with Saif (Ali Khan), Dabangg 2 my second with Salman and Once Upon A Time Again, my third with Akshay (Kumar). None of them behave like my seniors. It’s Ranveer (Singh), who’s toward my age. And that i didn’t know him before starting Lootera,” she says, dismissing rumours of a romance that recently upset her ma and pa. “My parents don’t need to examine my relationships within the papers.”