Thursday 31 May 2012

This was the large party of my life: Karan Johar

By Hindustan Times

In his first interview since hosting the mummy of all Bollywood parties last week, Karan Johar explains why it meant one of these good deal to him:

Q Everyone turns 40. Aamir, Shah Rukh, Salman … all have had birthdays but none made this noise. Why this sort of big hoopla about you turning 40?
A: (Laughs) Yeah, you're right. All of them can have had celebrations but probably nobody overreacted the best way I did. But you see, everyone has some reason to have a large celebration of their life — getting married, the birth of a toddler — I’ve not had any of these. So this was THE MASSIVE party of my life. Also, the party was not only about me turning 40, it was about me finishing 15 years on this industry. I BELIEVE blessed.

Q But why was your party more like a red carpet awards function than a birthday bash?
A: It was a dream I’d always had. Manish (designer Manish Malhotra) was the director of this beautiful, grand film that my birthday celebration was. He styled everything, from the décor to the invites. Everyone at Dharma Productions worked overtime to make it that grand.

We chose a proper dress code because unlike Delhi, we don’t have seasons here in Mumbai and we hardly get to decorate up. Many guests called me as much as ask what should women wear in a ’black-tie’ dress code.

I said it’s not as though we're going to play fashion police if you're dressed casually but it’ll be nice to wear formal Indian or Western… they usually all did.

Q Who, in line with you was the most efficient dressed man and girl on the bash?
A: Gauri (Khan) looked stunning in her red gown. Among men, I ASSUMED Aamir (Khan) looked the most productive in a Tom Ford bandhgala.

Q Almost all of the industry turned up, but did you miss anyone particularly who couldn’t make it?
A: I ACTUALLY wished Salman (Khan) had come. I’m exceptionally keen on him. But then he and Katrina were shooting for my ally Kabir Khan’s film in Bangkok, so I couldn’t also have dragged them from there.

Q There have been rumours that Priyanka Chopra won’t be invited due to the recent differences you two have had, but you probably did invite her eventually. She also came straight from her brother’s graduation ceremony in Switzerland. Is all sorted for good, then?
A: Yes, it's. I realised that it’s unlikely to assist either Priyanka or me to maintain carrying the emotional baggage of whatever happened recently, and all that was said or written about it. I ASSUMED to myself, I’m turning 40, I NEED TO be the senior and mature one to increase the primary step, which I did by inviting her. She honoured the invite by turning up, and all’s good now.

Q So how naughty was turning 40 for you? Were there any err … naughty surprises planned by friends?
A: (Laughs) By no means. My party was total ‘un-adult-rated’ fun. C’mon, my mom was there till very late. We just had a blast dancing till the wee hours within the morning. But none of it was naughty!

Q And who danced the most?
A: Shah Rukh and Deepika Padukone. Not together, after all (laughs). They only wouldn’t get off the dance floor. Thankfully, Shah Rukh didn't take place late for this party, as he often does. I had warned him to show up while I’m still 40!

Q What was probably the most memorable moment of the evening for you?
A: Funnily enough, it’s not any emotional moment. The décor was all red and black, and the mood lighting within the hall was very dim.

So after being in near darkness all night, once I came out after the party ended, the intense sun glared into my eyes because it was 7 within the morning. I felt blinded for a moment, and realised we had danced all night. Won’t ever forget that moment.