Thursday 28 June 2012

Saif Ali Khan to essay the role of Jawaharlal Nehru

Saif Ali Khan is riding high on his professional front. His forthcoming ‘Cocktail’ is yet to hit the screens but has already impressed the critics with its trailers. And now, Saif is ready to play the role of Jawaharlal Nehru in Britain-based Indian filmmaker, Gurinder Chadha’s partition film. Actor Naseeruddin Shah was approached to play the role of Muhammad Ali Jinnah and Shah has already given a nod for the role.

“It is a large canvas requiring tonnes and tonnes of analysis and scores of characters. I’ve spoken to a couple people including Naseer and Saif. Nehru’s role is a cameo, so I PONDER if Saif could be willing to do it,” Gurinder said on phone from London.

The film might be shot in Delhi and Jodhpur. “I’ve already acquired the required permission to shoot everywhere in India including Rashtrapati Bhavan. So I'M prepared. I don’t need to shoot in Pakistan in any respect. This may be my ultimate dream project and that i can’t watch for it to take off,” said Gurinder adding, “This is my biggest challenge up to now. I’ve been engaged on my partition film for a while now. The central character is Lord Mountbatten. The movie is about in January 1947 when Mountbatten was asked to supervise India and the movie results in August 1947, so it’s a short lived time span”.

The film will go on floor this October.

saif ali khan jawahar lal nehru