Monday 30 July 2012

I’m similar to a reporter: Madhur Bhandarkar

By Hindustan Times

With movies like Page 3 (2005) and Fashion (2008) behind him, filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar believes he’s more of an investigative reporter than a director. As he prepares for the discharge of his ambitious project Heroine, on September 21, listed below are five hard-hitting questions for the film industry’s most media-friendly man.

Did numerous heroines from B-Town call you for Heroine?
Many actors called me, but Kareena and that i had desired to interact since our Chandni Bar (2001) days. She was destined to try this movie. She has proved her credibility. Bipasha, Konkona, Priyanka all did great jobs in my films, but this role was meant for Kareena and she or he excelled in portraying the nature I conceived.

Do you're thinking that your genre is realistic cinema, on account that your attempt at creating a comedy didn’t set the box office aflame?
I think Dil Toh Baccha Hain Ji (2011) did moderately well. We broke while far because the budget was concerned. I don’t make an try to do just realistic cinema. If I REALLY LIKE a subject, I AM GOING ahead with it. So some day you might even see me make a love story. Personally, I enjoy commercial and bigger than life movies.

Every time you are making a film, you expose the underbelly of that individual industry and spread awareness about issues. But you don’t provide solutions. Why?
I’m like a reporter. If a subject matter intrigues me, I WILL BE ABLE TO go all the way down to the very root of the problem. I DO KNOW a few of my films do spread awareness. But I can’t give my film a reel (as opposed to real) ending simply to provide solutions. I’ve always kept my films as real as possible, and that’s why I’ve created a distinct segment for myself.

Your films get critical appreciation and in addition bag National Awards. But do they make big profits?
I never overspend or make films with an exorbitant budget. Eighty per cent of my success is due to that.
Because I’ve created an audience for myself over the past 11 years, people who like and revel in my films watch them. And that i do break even and earn money so far as the movies are concerned.

Finally, can we see you're making a male-oriented film within the future?
Definitely. If I'VE a robust enough subject, you will find me do it. But don’t expect me to do it similar to that. I’m not here to set or follow trends. If I FEEL in a story, it will likely be made right into a film.