Tuesday 31 July 2012

Why should I remain a bachelor: Salman Khan

By Hindustan Times

With Salman Khan, you never know what mood you’ll get. But on Sunday afternoon at Mehboob Studio, he’s jovial. His next film, Ek Tha Tiger, releasing on August 15, is already the topic of much speculation, with trade pundits wondering if it'll create a Rs. 200 crore club. Whether it does or does not, his fans are desperate to watch their superhero at the big screen again. Between shots of Dabangg 2, the star answers HT Café’s questions.

Today, you’re more successful than ever. Are you working twice as hard, or has this happened by chance?
In the past, I had a knee-jerk method to work and it showed on screen. I USED TO BE doing movies for the incorrect reasons — seeking to juggle dates, do too many guest appearances, absorb projects stressed or for emotional reasons. But now there’s one way to my madness. I'VE heard people say, “Salman has changed, he’s lost it,” and stuff like that. But it surely doesn’t affect me. Today, I'M doing movies just for my fans and i'm enjoying each piece of it. They're happy and so am I.

Isn’t it showing on screen? There appears to be a Salman Khan mania within the country. Are you proud?
It feels nice to be loved, but let me let you know there are 10 times more better looking, stylish and talented guys than me. So there’s no solid reason behind me to be proud! I don’t think I'VE done anything extraordinary to switch people’s lives. Yeh sab showbaazi hai aur isme credit lene ki baat kya hai? Mein chaand pe thodi pahunch gaya, ya koi cancer ka dawa invent kiya? (THAT IS show business; there may be nothing to take credit for. Have I gone to the moon or invented a cure for cancer?). Like most of you, I actually have a job. If in any respect I'M happy with anything, it’s my charitable trust, Being Human, which helps the needy.

You are actually the brand new tiger in Bollywood. Powerful, but in addition scary.
Is the tiger conscious about the traits you attribute to him? He's not, so it doesn’t matter to him, right? However, has fear ever discouraged people from hunting it down within the jungle, whipping it and taming it? Log toh tiger ko bhi circus mein nachate hai (people make tigers perform within the circus). But they're beautiful creatures. See how they cuddle up whilst you show them love.

But persons are terrified of you, Salman. Why?
That’s only a myth. I BELIEVE people just give me my space. In fact, those who find themselves supposedly afraid of me have taken the utmost liberties with me. Just like the media, for instance, who've pitilessly attacked me without finding accurate proof or giving me a possibility to clear my stand. For 20 long years I haven’t reacted, because I USED TO BE wounded. And the similar people come to me for interviews. So, where’s the question of fear?

Are you frightened of ever losing the fan following you have got now?
If the adulation has not affected me now, how will it affect me in any respect? There are individuals who take their onscreen image seriously. Luckily, I don’t. Rajesh Khanna is the classic case of a superstar forgotten until he passed away… I HAVEN'T seen or heard of such unparalleled adulation as his. I USED TO BE happy to witness a sea of humanity descend on his funeral. But I wish it had all happened when he was alive! He would was more than happy! Love and respect have to be accorded for your lifetime. Honestly, I wouldn’t want such pandemonium once I am dead and gone! It’s no need then, because I won’t be capable to see or feel the love.

Is it lonely on the top?
Whoever coined the phrase will have been a lonely soul himself. I'M blessed to have individuals with me and around me always. Nothing is more important to me greater than the 3 Fs in my life — family, friends and fans.

Your career was rocketing. How satisfying has it been?
The present is nice. Things are moving within the right direction. Coincidentally, my destiny, luck and chance all came collectively. I sent out a favorable energy to the universe and all of it came back to me. Personally, everything is ok. There were illnesses on and off, but I WILL BE ABLE TO handle those. I'M enjoying the phase while it lasts.

There are reports that you're single. No chance of affection again?
I have love throughout me, very just about me, sooner than me and by my side.

Does Bollywood’s bachelor boy intend to stay a bachelor?
No. Why should I?

You’ve been hurt to your method to this super success. Are you proof against pain now?
I feel blessed that I haven’t seen or felt real pain to be proof against it. But I'M dreading the time it comes. I THINK blessed to have everything going fine. My parents’ health is good, my brothers are well-settled, I'VE a really perfect brother-in-law and my very own career is doing fine. I'M HOPING and pray that i'm fit and fine always.

Who is more important to you — the lady on your life or your family?
I will side with whoever is right at that point.

Have you signed Sooraj Barjatya’s film?
We are in talks. He has narrated a script to me. But I'M starting Sohail’s next film. It’s an ideal script and i'm totally driven by it. Let’s see what I absorb after this.

Are you acutely aware of the high expectations from Ek Tha Tiger? Apparently no other filmmaker desires to release a film around that time.
Great, na? Two big brands — Yash Chopra and Salman Khan — are hitting the theatres together. High expectations toh banta hai na? (there'll be high expectations, right?) But we hadn’t planned anything like this. I loved the script and got down to make a fair film. And the product is out there.