Saturday 28 July 2012

Interview - Can’t make profits like male actors: Kareena Kapoor

By Hindustan Times

The first look of 1 of the year’s most awaited films, Heroine, is out, and understandably, the heroine herself, Kareena Kapoor, is ecstatic. While she reckons the film will mark a turning point in her career, she is brutally honest in admitting that she is unlikely to rival the box office collections of Bollywood’s leading men.

Heroine is a movie practically riding in your shoulders. Do you think that your film can enter the coveted Rs.100-crore club?
No, I genuinely don’t think so. We don’t get the type of budget that male actors can we. get an affordable budget, and we benefit from it. I just hope we do well. But I don’t think I’ll garner the similar profits as male actors do.

The film releases to your birthday, September 21. Your idol Sridevi’s film, English Vinglish, releases at the same day. Do you're feeling a way of competition?
I idolise her (Sridevi). But I just intend to make it clear that I'M HOPING both films do well… mine slightly more.

The trailer portrays the media because the devil...
It isn’t portrayed like that during all of the film. In that scene, I’m instigated by the media, that's why my reaction is how it is [she is shown lashing out at a touchy question]. In real life, I don’t give it (media reports) much thought anymore.

Your director Madhur Bhandarkar is media-friendly. You’re the precise opposite.
I’m an excessively guarded person. I’m nothing like my character Mahi Arora. I’m not as bold. I’m protective about my emotions, although I’m over-emotional every now and then. I REALLY LIKE to maintain a gradual head on my shoulders.

In an earlier interview to HT Café, you had mentioned waiting for working in Ram Leela with Sanjay Leela Bhansali (“…I’ll look back after TWENTY YEARS with fond memories”). What went wrong?
I’ve always desired to work with Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Unfortunately, we differed on contractual issues, and some things didn’t determine between our managers. I TRULY was looking ahead to it.

Do you spot yourself working with Bhansali anytime within the future?
Well, a minimum of I'M HOPING to. This project didn’t work out, but hopefully another opportunity will arise soon.