Thursday 26 April 2012

Mainstream cinema not my cup of tea: Nandita Das

By Hindustan Times

Critically acclaimed actress-director Nandita Das, who took a sabbatical to deal with her baby, is ready to be back with a bang - but says she would rather keep away from mainstream cinema. "I'M more than happy doing the type of films that I do. After all even that's a gamble, not all the
films turn how it is imagined. It's strange, even after 15 years people keep asking me why I DO NOT do commercial films," Nandita said here.

Nandita has explored distinctive characters in her movies like Fire, Earth, Bawandar, Aks and i'm. Nevertheless, she maintains that she has nothing against mainstream commercial cinema.

"It's just that I DO NOT relate to commercial films. I DO NOT watch commercial cinema much, so there is not any ambition to be in it. Mainstream cinema isn't my cup of tea," she added.

For now the actress has signed two films and says both are in keeping with contemporary subjects.

"I am finally doing two films. That is my first film after my little baby, who's now 20 months old. I'M doing one Tamil film with Rama Swamy, who won three National awards for his films and likewise a Hindi film by Devashi Bakshi," said Nandita, who married Mumbai-based Subodh Maskara in 2010.

"Both films are on very interesting stories, unfortunately and not using a songs and rural characters. Both are contemporary subjects and i'm happy to be a part of it," she added.

Nandita, who directed Firaaq, which was highly appreciated, says she is looking for a fair story which urges her to move behind the camera once again.

"I wish to direct. Firaaq was essentially the most challenging experience in my life nevertheless it was also very fulfilling. I MIGHT definitely wish to direct I'M in search for a story,""the 42-year-old said.