Sunday 29 April 2012

The spotlight is on four scene stealers from two sleeper hits!

By Hindustan Times

Khan: The rough, foul-mouthed IB officer
Nawazuddin Siddiqui
Film – Kahaani
Character – An arrogant, aggressive IB officer. Crass and abrasive, he knows his job and does it well.
Life changer – “For someone who’s been struggling for
12 years to get greater than a few scenes just because he doesn’t “look” like an actor, it is a stunner,” says the unassuming Nawazuddin Siddiqui. He’s nothing just like the gritty, abusive IB officer Khan of Kahaani whose onscreen presence unnerved the audience.

“Is film ne shuru se sirf surprise kiya hai,” is how he translates the stir that Khan has created. “I couldn’t have imagined in my wildest dreams that I'D be appreciated such a lot. It is
fantastic.”

Nawazuddin was equally surprised when he heard that director Sujoy Ghosh desired to cast him as an IB officer. “I asked them in the event that they had contacted the best Nawazuddin! I'M a 5’6”, thin fellow, nothing like an IB officer. So it seemed strange. But I ASSUME they were sure,” he smiles.

Born and taken up in Budhana, a small village in Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar district, Nawazuddin’s first introduction to theatre was when he came with friends to Delhi and watched a play. He was hooked. He watched as regards to 250 plays before he joined the National School of Drama in Delhi and began doing theatre. Soon he moved to Mumbai, where his struggling days were worse than what he had anticipated. A COUPLE OF two-minute roles were offered to him – till Black Friday happened in 2004.

Though work became somewhat steady, the limelight proved elusive. “I don’t think anyone remembers me in The big apple and even Paan Singh Tomar but Kahaani worked. And how!”

Up next – “Ab toh kaam shuru hua hai,” he laughs. “Finally, a lot of these filmi persons are taking notice and saying, ‘You are an actor’, as opposed to ‘Are you an actor?’” he grins. With seven films ready for release within the following few months, a brand new chapter has begun in Nawazuddin’s life.

Satyaki/Rana: The cultured, helpful cop
Parambrata Chatterjee
Film – Kahaani
Character – The rookie cop has all his niceties in place. Cultured, shy, mild mannered, he goes all out to assist the very-pregnant Vidya Bagchi. And of course, he secretly nurses an incredible crush on her.
Life changer – “This more or less adulation from all quarters is rather mindblowing,” says actor-director Parambrata Chatterjee. “Without sounding immodest, I WILL say that I USED TO BE decently known in Kolkata. So it wasn’t that I USED TO BE seeking to establish myself. But Kahaani has taken it to another level altogether. The industry guys are actually treating me as an actor to reckon with, and most people in other cities – Mumbai, Delhi etc – is definitely recognising me and arising to me at odd places just like the airport to congratulate me on my performance. It’s just overwhelming,” he adds.

Having started his acting career in 2003, Parambrata finished the edit of his directorial debut and went off to UK to pursue a master’s degree in filmmaking. A year later, when his course was over, he got a choice from director Sujoy Ghosh. “Before going home, I DETERMINED to simply travel around. I USED TO BE in Amsterdam after I got a decision from Sujoy saying he wanted me back immediately. I heard the tale on Skype! So convinced was he about me that he did a look-test for me over mail and just fixed it. I needed to cancel the remainder of my trip to Rome and come back! Sujoy still owes me the trip,” he laughs.
Up next – Life has suddenly become extremely busy for this new poster boy of Hindi cinema. “I don’t find out about the poster boy bit, but yes, a large number of female attention is coming in,” he says, half shy, half smiling. And work? Is Bollywood the following destination? “Well, I’m meeting lots of people and reading some excellent scripts. Some endorsements also are within the pipeline. I’m open to travelling for work, but I won’t shift. Kolkata has a number of great work happening too. And finally, that is home for me.”

The Patrakar: The nervous, small town hack
Brijendra Kala
Film – Paan Singh Tomar
Character – He’s a normal small town, small time journalist. Half scared and half heroic about meeting an athlete-turned-dacoit. His only motivation: the interview will turn ‘him’ right into a headline.
Life changer – So disappointed was Kala by the “no-show” of his role as a munim in Agneepath that he didn’t realise how widely he was being appreciated for his role of a journalist on this year’s other surprise hit, Paan Singh Tomar. “When you are feeling that you just haven’t got your due in a large film, you never imagine that you’ll be noticed in a small film. And why me? We were surprised even by the film doing so well. Paan Singh Tomar was within the making for 3 years. The producers just weren’t able to release it. So expectations were rather low,” says a matter-of-fact Kala.

“I’m more than happy. In fact, there may be always a risk of fading into the background with big stars, but Irrfan and Tigmanshu made sure they got the ratio right,” he smiles.

Brought up in Mathura, Kala did most of his theatre within the small circles of this small town. “We performed so much in Brajbhasha. I never thought I'D visit Mumbai and do films,” says Kala. It was perhaps his small town sensibility and regular interactions with journalists from the hinterland that brought out the gritty realness in his performance.
Up next – Soaking in the entire appreciation, Kala isn’t gloating about it. “I has been here for long. Been appreciated and disappointed. That is big but work continues,” he says. Though critics have loved his performance, Kala feels that doesn't necessarily translate into work. “Neither am I taking a look at establishing myself to any extent further. I’m just happy to be appreciated.” With three films, Fatso, Jannat 2 and Dekho Yeh Hai Mumbai Real Life arising this year, Kala expects an excellent year ahead.

Bob Biswas: The polite, smiling assassin
Saswata Chatterjee
Film – Kahaani
Character – A seemingly inconsequential insurance agent, Bob Biswas leads a dual life as a ‘bhadralok’ contract killer.
Life changer – Saswata is stunned by the reaction to his Bob Biswas turn. “It is astounding. In fact, rather unbelievable,” he says. Bob Biswas has changed the way in which we see villains in Hindi cinema. He’s like that dimwitted, harmless uncle round the corner. But he’s made sure that each time someone says, “Aik mineet?” you duck. Saswata concedes: “I agree. His innocence is very scary.”

Life, says Saswata, has changed suddenly and dramatically. “It’s been a while now, but I still feel I'M living a dream. It’ll take time to register. My days appear to be passing doing round-the-clock interviews. Never before have I talked such a lot in Hindi and English,” he says with a laugh.

Born and taken up in Kolkata, he has done theatre, television and movies in Bengali. So naturally, Saswata was surprised to get a choice from director Sujoy Ghosh for a Hindi flick. With a short lived to be polite, like an ordinary Bengali bhadralok, Saswata was told that he needed to kill sweetly.

And has Bob Biswas gone for the true kill? Has his success spelt extra money for Saswata? “I really hope it happens, though I haven’t seen any signs of items moving that way,” he laughs. “But what I ACTUALLY hope for is that there must be some interesting roles in films. Somehow, earlier they never perceived to come,” he adds.

Up next – With some good offers coming in from Bollywood, Saswata is taking time to select and select. “Life is quite settled in Kolkata. I'M waiting for doing roles in Hindi films but must watch my step. I can’t compromise on make money working from home either. See, there are only that many in “character” roles that you may get. So I CAN look forward to something mind-blowing to return my way.”

“I DO KNOW I’ll be under a spotlight, I know I’ll be under the microscope” – Lisa Guerrero, journalist and actress