Saturday 25 August 2012

I wish I had made Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi: Sanjay Leela Bhansali

By HT

In a never-before tete-a-tete, Sanjay Leela Bhansali opens up at the agony of watching his sister's directorial debut being delayed and why he's more than happy with the film.

It has taken your sister Bela an excellent ten years to direct her first film. LOTS OF PEOPLE blame you for the delay?

Things happen after they are destined to happen. I'M aware that folks thought I USED TO BE the banyan tree which does not allow another tree to grow in its shade. The concept that individuals held me accountable for my sister's career not starting up killed me from inside. You would be surprised to understand that she held my hand and introduced me to the wonders of cinema. She took me to the FTII and he or she introduced into the film industry. I owe everything I'M today to her. Maybe I USED TO BE fortunate to have directed a movie before her. But rightfully she will need to have directed before me.

You will have prodded her to direct her film long before?
At times I used to wonder whether she was taking see you later to direct a movie because she spent such a lot time editing my films. But there has been nothing I MAY do. Bela was always a part of my creativity. She edited all my films until Black after which she decided it was time for her to direct her own film. She was always very clear that she desired to start as an editor after which direct a movie. She desired to direct a movie only once I made Devdas. Still, there has been a nagging feeling inside me that I COULD be slowing down her creative journey by holding directly to her within the capacity of an editor for my films. I ACTUALLY missed her editing in Saawariya and Guzaarish.

I believe you and Bela had violent physical fights over the editing of your films?
Oh yes (laughs). I USED TO BE like a tiger protecting inch of my footage. She was ruthless. She would tell me on my face that certain things needed to go. She ceased to be a sister and have become an editor. We've gone at one another like two cats with our horrified assistants seeking to separate us from all sides. We were obnoxious within the editing room. But she made the best decisions. And you can now see that very same ruthless economy of expression in her own film. Her film is solely 1 hour 45 minutes long, not a minute longer than it had to be. I miss her within the editing room. But if I saw what she had directed I'M glad she has moved on.

How do you are feeling when she is finally ready along with her film?
Bela's film is infinitely superior to my first film Khamoshi: The Musical. I wish I had made Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi. I'M too numb to react. The past few weeks has been a whirlwind of activities. I'M within the means of starting my very own film too. So it's just like the birth of twins. I'M super-excited, super-happy and super-nervous. We were planning Bela's film Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi for 8 years. Only I DO KNOW what I agony I've suffered in these 8 years. The delay wasn't only because she is my sister. Some actors walked out of Shirin Farhadâ?¦I'd rather not speak about these ugly things. Because we finally succeeded in getting the easiest cast. All of us worked with the courage of conviction, so no grudges against folks who allow us to down. I WILL NOT imagine Shirin Farhad happening with another two actors except Boman Irani and Farah Khan. They're so entertaining that I USED TO BE tempted to cast them as my Romeo and Juliet, if only Rome and Juliet were a little bit older.

You're also producing a movie on Mary Kom?
This is my first biographical film. And it is the story of somebody very special, someone who has done our country very proud. Even cinematically, no Indian film on a lady boxer have been made so far, though within the West Clint Eastwood directed that wonderful film Million Dollar Baby. So I'M really waiting for it. My art director Omang Kumar came to me with the topic. He were researching Mary Kom's life for over a year. She is outstanding. A FEMININE boxing world champion, a housewife and a mother of 2. It's amazing what number of roles women can juggle with. I've seen my mother play such a lot of roles. Mary's story could be very inspiring. After I read Omang's script, I connected to it immediately. However it could be very difficult to cast any actress as Mary Kom.

Your sister's film releases just when you find yourself able to direct your next film Ram Leela?
First, the title isn't final. Secondly, yes this is a hectic. And i'm over-worked. But I'M enjoying every minute of it. And Bela's film is as much mine as hers. But yeah, I'm also engaged on my film. And that is the reason demanding when my sister is venturing out along with her first film.

Coincidentally you too are venturing out with a light-hearted film, very far far from the grave problems with Devdas, Black and Guzaarish?
My next film could be very young, very breezy. It is a very different tackle Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. I'M really waiting for attending to it. But Devdas, Black and Guzaarish weren't serious films. Yes, they handled alcoholism, death and self-destruction. But they were happy films. They raised serious issues but never forgot the laughter and sunshine. During Black, Rani and that i would laugh such a lot between shots we'd have tears rolling down our cheeks. Watching Bela shoot with Boman and Farah was equally entertaining. For all those who find themselves wondering, why Farah Khan when she has no acting experience my answer is, 'Watch her comic timing with Boman'. Farah is as entertaining on screen as she's in person.

Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi recommends love past an age not socially permissible in our society. Do you're thinking that love is feasible after 45?
Why not? I REALLY LIKE Bela's concept of affection striking two people who find themselves seen as past the age of marriage. Love can strike at 45 or 85. I'M 49 and i'm still looking ahead to like to happen.